Here are some commonly asked questions along with answers.
Call us at 828.627.6392 if you have a question that is not addressed on this website.
Otherwise… come on out and squeeze the trigger!
– I have never quail hunted before. Do I need to be experienced to participate in a hunt?
As with many sporting activities experience can be helpful, but it is not necessary. It is helpful if you have hunting experience. We suggest that if this is your first quail hunt that you utilize the services of one of our guides.
– How many people are allowed to participate in a hunt?
3 people actively hunting are permitted per zone; our preserve has 3 zones each between 35-40 acres located within the 700+ acres at Fowler Farms Sporting Clays.
– What is the cost to participate in a quail hunt?
The price can vary depending on whether you provide your own dog, shotgun, ammunition, or utilize one of our guides.
There is a basic fee for a three hour hunt, and additional fees if we provide those items/services.
Call us for pricing information and to schedule your hunt!
DEPOSITS SHOULD BE SENT TO:
Split Mountain Quail & Preserve
4033 Max Patch Road
Clyde, NC 28721
– What do I need to bring to a hunt?
First, be sure you have a North Carolina hunting license.
In-state residents can use an existing NC hunting license or get a special license for $20 annually
that permits hunting on a quail preserve.
Out-of-state residents can purchase the $20 annual special permit for hunting on a quail preserve.
Licenses can be purchased at the nearby Trust General Store or by calling: 1-888-248-6834.
– proper safety attire, bright colored clothing is recommended such as hunter orange
– weather appropriate attire and footwear
– a shotgun between a .410 to 12 gauge; with a 20 gauge being most popular
– suitable ammunition is a 7 1/2 – 8 load shell
– a cooler with ice to take your birds with you (if you want)
We provide zip lock bags, and if using the services of one of our guides they can assist you in dressing your bird/s.
– What about the weather?
We offer hunts WEATHER PERMITTING. Since hunting season occurs during our winter be prepared with proper clothing and footwear, too.
– When is the preserve open?
The preserve is open Monday through Saturday. Hunts are 3 hours in duration and scheduled one hunt per day per field. Contact us to schedule your hunt time.
– Is quail edible?
Yes! Take it home, bake it or fry it up!
– I know someone that would enjoy participating in a hunt. Can I purchase a gift certificate?
Sure, just let us know and we’ll provide you a gift certificate. Gift certificates can be great gifts for someone that is “hard to buy for” for a birthday or other occasion.
– What form of payments do you accept?
At this time we accept checks or cash.